La'Roy Bodiford at Piccolo NOW, Shutup n' Clap Represented at The Gnu's Room

I'm running behind on my event posts this week, so I hope it's not because of me that you missed 11-year-old Jackie Evancho singing in Atlanta with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (event page) or the Bill Perry Trio at The Loft in Columbus.

But all is not lost. Troy's La'Roy Bodiford will be at Piccolo tonight (Friday, 8/5) from 8-11 PM, so there's still time. He's a great player. I wrote more about Piccolo and the players this weekend in my last post.

And I mentioned it before, but there will be a couple of upstart young'uns playing at The Gnu's Room in Auburn. They're Jake Roland and Ansley Newman, and they're from the band, Shutup n' Clap. It's an indie pop group out of Opelika who recently won an Atlanta a Lagrange competition. I'm trying to get a couple more details about that, and will update this post if I do. Here's the band's website. Right now, its strengths are its songwriting, its uncluttered arrangements, and a not-bad-at-all guitar soloist with some clear influences. Their innocent young faces don't hurt.

UPDATE: They won a 9-band battle of the bands contest in Lagrange, Georgia. It was judged by the members of the Lagrange-bred, grammy-nominated pop band After Edmund, whom I'm pretty sure I don't like as much as Shutup n' Clap, but what do I know about pop music?

The Sunday (8/7) jazz jam at 1048 Jazz and Blues in Montgomery should be up and running as usual on Sunday night from 9:30 PM to 12:30 AM. I believe there's a $5 cover. We need one of these in Auburn-Opelika.


Coming up...

Auburn
8/11 - Jane Drake Trio at Piccolo
8/12-13 - Jazz at Piccolo
8/14 - Jazz brunch at Ariccia with the Jack Dresher Trio
8/15-16 - Auburn Community Orchestra auditions

Montgomery, Columbus, Lagrange
8/12 - Rusty Taylor and Friends at The Loft (Columbus)
8/14 - Sunday jazz jam at 1048 Jazz and Blues (Montgomery)
8/14 - Columbus Jazz Society hosts pianist Tyrone Jackson
9/10 - LaGrange Symphony Orchestra auditions
9/29 - "Weird Al" Yankovic at the Montgomery Performing Arts Center

Atlanta
8/12 - Bela Fleck and the Flektones at Delta Classic Chastain Park Ampitheater8/14 - Michael O'Neal Singers perform Bach to Broadway at Roswell UMC
8/16 - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy with the ASO at Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre
8/2 - 8/30 - Auditions for The Michael O'Neal Singers
8/9, 8/11 - Atlanta Sacred Chorale auditions
9/3 - New Trinity Baroque plays Bach and Corelli at St. Bartholomew's EC
9/11 - Atlanta Saxophone Day at Emory University

Comments